Helse Sør-øst RHF
Postdoctor / Researcher
Postdoctoral / Researcher Position Examining New Treatments for Heart Failure
Applications are invited for a 3-year postdoctoral /researcher position evaluating a new cellular-based therapy for heart failure. The position will be based at the Institute for Experimental Medical Research (IEMR) located at Oslo University Hospital / University of Oslo.
IEMR is an innovative and dynamic medical research environment that conducts research focused on understanding the molecular basis of heart failure development. With approximately 60 employees and six research groups, our expertise spans molecular biology, physiology and cardiology. The project will be supervised by Professor William Louch. The group is part of the KG Jebsen Center for Cardiac Research which promotes extensive collaboration and provides a fruitful research environment.Oslo University Hospital is a workplace with great diversity. We believe this is essential to perform the tasks required of us. Therefore, we pursue diversity among our job applicants and encourage everyone to apply regardless of who you are and what background you have.
The postdoctoral / researcher position will be 3 years in duration and, depending on starting date, have latest completion of the contract by the end of 2025. Funding will be provided from a grant from Helse Sør-Øst.
Contraction of the heart is triggered by the shortening of cardiac muscle cells, called cardiomyocytes. Relaxation and filling of the heart with blood then occurs as cardiomyocytes relengthen. In many heart failure patients, this relaxation phase becomes impaired and the heart is insufficiently filled with blood before the next beat. This condition, called heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF), is only beginning to be understood, and lacks effective treatments. The project for the hired postdoctoral fellow / researcher is aimed at investigating a new potential therapy for HFpEF. This therapy specifically targets cardiomyocyte relaxation, by improving cellular calcium homeostasis. The hired fellow will employ rodent HFpEF models, as well as techniques in advanced cellular imaging techniques (confocal microscopy), together with experiments focused on cellular and molecular biology. The project has highly qualified national and international collaborators.
We ask all applicants to respond to the qualification requirements. We will not consider applications lacking this information
- We are looking for talented and highly motivated candidates of all nationalities who have a keen interest in cellular and cardiovascular research
- Applicants must hold a PhD in Biology, Biomedical Laboratory Sciences or Medical/Health/Social subjects. The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defense of the doctoral thesis being approved
- Previous experience with HFpEF rodent models or live cell microscopy will be considered an asset
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
Value will be placed on compatibility of the applicant’s professional and personal disposition, with strengths in:
- Systematic approach
- Analysis and assessment
- Self development, Initiative and accountability
- Constructive cooperation
- Enthusiastic, reliable and structured
- Genuine interest in research
- Dedicated and responsible
- Salary in the range of pay grade NOK 553 500 - 636 700 per year depending on qualifications
- A stimulating, challenging and friendly international working environment with broad expertise
- Technical assistance and training
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities)
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- A complete list of publications
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. The attachments should be in the form of one or two pdf files that include all requested items.
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications in regards to the project description, and the candidate’s motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best-qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.