ICORN - Training & Development Coordinator
Improved conditions for freedom of expression worldwide
ICORN Mission Statement
ICORN enables cities around the world to provide safe havens for persecuted writers and artists, working together to
- advance freedom of expression
- defend democratic values
- promote international solidarity
The ICORN network is growing and wish to strengthen the staff at the Secretariat in Stavanger, Norway. ICORN is an international freedom of expression organisation that offers persecuted writers, journalists, and artists from around the world long term, temporary shelter in a city of refuge, where they can work further and express themselves freely. ICORN currently has 74 member cities. Most are in Europe, and in North and South America.
Each city of refuge facilitates the offered residence, while the Secretariat in Stavanger is responsible for receiving and assessing applications for residence and selection of candidates in consultation with the cities of refuge. The Secretariat also offers advise on migration and issues related to the residencies, training and capacity building of city coordinators, recruiting new cities of refuge, and maintaining and developing networks and partnerships, nationally and internationally.
ICORN’s secretariat currently has 6 employees and is located at Sølvberget, Stavanger Cultural Center.
The member cities are the main drivers and pool of resources in ICORN’s work to fulfil its vision and mission: to protect and promote persecuted writers and artists from around the world. The training and development coordinator will work to strengthen and develop the capacity of the ICORN cities to receive, host, protect and promote their residents, so that they can continue their work for human rights and freedom of expression, at home and abroad. The position will be placed in the team under the head of migration and development, and will work closely with the national coordinators.
- Experience from international organizational work, preferably within human rights, migration and / or work with refugees
- Experience from training and capacity building
- Approved relevant higher education
- Very good written and oral communication skills (English and a Scandinavian language)
- Good computer skills, including experience with online training
- You want to help develop ICORN according to the organization's vision and goals
- You work independently, responsibly and structured and have a strong focus on implementation
- You are purposeful and have high work capacity
- You are versatile, innovative and like challenges
- You are flexible and have good collaboration and communication skills
- You have empathy and respect for people who are in a difficult situation
- A full-time position; 1-year engagement (possibility of extension)
- Predominantly English working language
- Meaningful and challenging work tasks and an everyday life characterized by high pace
- A small but expanding global organization
- Good colleagues in ICORN and Sølvberget
- Workplace in Sølvberget, Stavanger Cultural Centre
- Salary as an advisor
- Good pension and insurance schemes