ICORN - Communication & Outreach Coordinator
Improved conditions for freedom of expression worldwide
ICORN Mission Statement
ICORN enables cities around the world to provide safe havens for persecuted writers and artists, working together to
- advance freedom of expression
- defend democratic values
- promote international solidarity
The ICORN network is growing and wish to strengthen the staff at the secretariat in Stavanger, Norway. ICORN is an international freedom of expression organization that offers persecuted writers, journalists and artists from around the world long term, temporary shelter in a city of refuge, where they can work further and express themselves freely. ICORN currently has 74 member cities. Most are in Europe, and in North and South America.
Each city of refuge facilitates the offered residence, while the Secretariat in Stavanger is responsible for receiving and assessing applications for residence and selection of candidates in consultation with the cities of refuge. The Secretariat also offers advise on migration and issues related to the residencies, training and capacity building of city coordinators, recruiting new cities of refuge, and maintaining and developing networks and partnerships, nationally and internationally.
ICORN’s secretariat currently has 6 employees and is located at Sølvberget, Stavanger Cultural Center.
ICORN bursts with untold stories; stories of hardship, persecution and increased crackdowns against freedom of expression, but also of courage, escape and refuge. Stories of resilience, creativity and impact, stories of persecuted writers and artists, protected and empowered in their safe havens, making a difference for human rights and democracy at home and abroad. It is the task of ICORN’s new communication and outreach coordinator to gather these stories, to make sure the voices of the most vulnerable change actors are heard, and to work together with ICORN’s key actors and stakeholders to expand the impact of the network worldwide.
- Relevant international press and network competence and experience
- Approved relevant higher education
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English and (preferably) Scandinavian
- Excellent computer skills and social media competence
- You want to help develop ICORN according to the organization's vision and goals
- You work independently, responsibly and structured and have a strong focus on implementation
- You are purposeful and have high work capacity
- You are versatile, innovative and like challenges
- You are flexible and have excellent collaboration and communication skills
- You have empathy and respect for people who are in a difficult situation
- A full-time position; 1-year engagement (possibility of extension)
- Predominantly English working language
- Meaningful and challenging work tasks and an everyday life characterized by high pace
- A small but expanding global organization
- Good colleagues in ICORN and Sølvberget
- Workplace in Sølvberget, Stavanger Cultural Centre
- Salary as an advisor
- Good pension and insurance schemes