Senior Well Site Geologist
Olje og gass Industri / Produksjon
DNO is a Norwegian oil and gas operator focused on the Middle East region and the North Sea. Founded in 1971, DNO is Norway’s oldest oil company. With a leading position in terms of reserves and production in the Kurdistan region of Iraq, DNO produces around 110,000 barrels of oil per day from the flagship Tawke field.
The wellsite geologist is the Geosciences representative at the rig site (for all type of wells) and responsible for the accurate reporting and flagging of geological events. Ontime updates and progress reporting to operational geologist in town.
- Ensure effective communication between all parties involved in the execution of Geological Operations programs at the well site.
- Ensure Company Drilling representative is informed of all geological information pertinent to optimize and safe execution of the drilling program.
- Ensure company procedures and contractual terms are complied with onsite.
- Ensure reliability, accuracy, completeness, and confidentiality of the data acquired.
- Ensure the accuracy of the reporting of all matters related to the operations supervised.
- Evaluate and report service companies’ personnel’s capability and equipment’s compatibility as per contract by performing audit at the beginning of the job.
- Participates actively, through the monitoring and interpretation of all available data (i.e. Drilling-ML-LWD-WL), in the identification and evaluation of drilling hazards (losses, gains, overpressure, H2S, swelling clays / caving’s, etc.) and reports to town. In case of immediate danger directly to DSV.
- Communicates well progress and required reporting in a timely manner as per operational set standards and timeline.
- Prepare and keep updated all the documents and reports (Daily Geological Report) regarding well monitoring and geological operations.
- Executes data acquisition program, and coordinate workforce of contracted services on site (essentially but not exclusively: mud logging, MWD/LWD and Wireline crews) in conjunction with operations geologist in town.
- Supervises geological operations personnel and ensure that all equipment provided by contractors are in line with the program and contracts, assist in quality control and audits of equipment and services provided by contractors.
- Ensures and supervises the regular testing and sensors calibration of Mud Logging equipment
- Supervise geological operations and various well data acquisitions (Mudlogging, M/LWD, WL logging, Coring), control quality and validate the data assisting the operations geologist.
- Monitors on-site progress and advise to initiate coring, intermediate logging, to continue or halt drilling at casing points, etc. to operation geologists.
- Supervises the conditioning, labeling, packing and transportation of all geological cuttings samples, Gas samples, Cores/core plugs and fluid samples collected during the course of drilling/coring or logging.
- Ensures the proper communication between Mud logging, MWD/LWD, DDs, Mud Engineers and the drilling crews/DSV, particularly drilling related hazards.
- Supervision and execution of the local Wellsite Geologist Training Program on the wellsite.
- Knowledge of and adherence to DNO’s HSE policy, rules and procedures
- Promotes HSE standards in all wellsite formation evaluation acquisition activities
- Flagging of areas of concern/ change to expectations with respect to drilling, geology, for example pressure spikes indications of pressure changes, increased mud gas beyond normal in type of well
- Participation to HSE activities and reporting systems (e.g. stop cards, audits, HSE action plans)
- Contributes to DNO’s Asset Integrity initiative by reporting any anomaly, defect, bad practice, lack of equipment, lack of competence that could result in a major HSE incident or loss of production.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
- B.Sc. in Earth Sciences.
- Minimum 10 years varied experience in wellsite geology operations, with a proven background in Mudlogging, or M/LWD, or experience with an Operator.
- Wellsite Geology experience of at least 5 wells within Kurdistan.
- Wellsite Geology experience of drilling and evaluation of Cretaceous, Jurassic and Triassic sequence with specific focus on fractured carbonates, and drilling operations.
- Excellent English verbal, written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Operations Geology, Drilling, Mud Logging, M/LWD and Wireline Log acquisition.
- Strong communication skills required.
- Basic well log analysis and borehole interpretation.
- Proven mentoring/training skills.
The role reports to Senior Operations Geologist and will be based in Kurdistan. The work schedule will be rotational type 28 days on / 28 days off and will be on a 12 months fixed term contract.
Interested candidates kindly apply using a PDF version of your CV.