Ro Ro Operative - 4 on 4 off
Who are we… At DFDS people mean the world to us. We aim to attract and retain the best talents, provide challenge and opportunity for personal development. We also make sure that you know what a difference you make to our business and how you can be proud of building one of Northern Europe’s largest shipping and logistics companies.
The Role… To handle/prepare all cargoes during working operations of any allocated Ro Ro, Lo Lo, conventional vessels and any / all associated Terminal activities. To ensure that all operations are carried out correctly and in accordance with any legislative requirements and Company policy in a safe and efficient manner. This role is to cover a 4 on 4 off shift pattern.
- Load, discharge and restow ships.
- Tally cargo check for any anomalies. Report anomalies to Team Leader.
- Check all mechanical handling equipment is in working order and that daily defect reports are completed.
- Plug and unplug temperature-controlled units as directed.
- Handle all cargo for storage, warehousing, or any other purpose, within the Terminal area,
- Segregate hazardous cargo and always handle hazardous cargo correctly.
- Examine cargo to check for damage, discrepancies, hazards etc.
- Report any damage to cargo, plant, or equipment as soon as it becomes apparent.
- Use of Terminal Computer Systems.
- Lashing and Securing Cargo.
- Manual Handling.
- Always ensure the Terminals are kept clear, clean, and safe for working
- Ensure all aspects of ISPS security controls according to Department for Transport (Maritime Security Compliance) legislation are carried out in the correct manner
- Be part of the Berthing / Mooring activity, Riverside as & when required.
- Look for and recommend any new methods of working that could improve efficiency or reduce costs.
- Support, and advise the J Gang / Agency to help them to carry out their associated tasks and resolve any operational problems.
- Adhere to all relevant policies, operating procedures and standards at all times.
- Understand and working in compliance with the Safety Advancement Scheme.
- Ensure all mechanical handling equipment is in full working order and that daily . Pre start defect reports are completed.
- Ensure the correct PPE is worn as required.
- Ensure that all safe methods of work are followed and that you have read, understand and signed all relevant procedures.
- Always work with due care and attention to ensure the personal safety of yourself and others.
- Carry out any other role or task that is commensurate with the spirit and purpose of this job description.
- Be able to work on a 24 hour On-Call rota.
- Ensure all associated Incident, Accident, Environmental, Near Miss or Hazrard forms completed before the end of the shift and information is thoroughly forwarded to Team Leader, Shift Managers and/or Operational Management.
- Identify operational problems and either resolve them or recommend solutions.
- Ensure all equipment is returned to the correct area after use.
(Tugs, ramps, lifting gear etc.)
- Attend training sessions and meetings as required using them to make a positive contribution to the business.
- Life assurance cover
- Contributory company pension scheme
- Free ferry travel for up to 4 guests between Dover and Calais / Newcastle and Amsterdam with no limit on trips
- Regular Team social events for employees and families
- Full employee assistance programme including:
- Proactive financial, emotional, mental and physical health care support including face to face counselling, fast 24/7 access to a GP, a second medical opinion and legal support for colleagues and their family
- Huge range of retail discounts from high street and online retailers
- Cashback on health care including dental, optical, physiotherapy, prescriptions, specialist consultations and much more
- Access to Thrive, our award-winning Wellbeing platform
- Access to mental health first aid and opportunity to join support webinars with a focus on all areas of positive wellbeing
If you want to be part of a growing and forward-thinking business that puts its colleagues first, please apply today and join our team! Closing date for applications is 27/08/2021. We will evaluate applicants on an ongoing basis. We are an inclusive equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all. #WE MOVE FOR ALL TO GROW