Head of Engineering HV/Grid
This position will be responsible for the standardisation and international adoption of best practice processes, standards and tools to achieve quality standards, operational efficiency and continuous improvement. The position will act as an international discipline leader for HV Grid engineering, responsible for enabling regional engineers to deliver excellent results in projects and ensuring international connectivity and collaboration between regional engineers internationally.
- International co-ordination of Global HV/Grid resources, providing support to the regional HV engineering teams to ensure the on-time approval and connection of Statkraft projects, from development through to construction stage;
- International staff resource monitoring and support to regional engineering managers and delivery directors, working with them to build up regional HV resources and teams in key global markets;
- Line management of specialist engineers supporting projects internationally, for example those performing grid studies with Digsilent or similar;
- Line management of HV/Grid engineers supporting new/maturing markets;
- Establishing international consultancy frameworks for HV and Grid, and coordination of consultants working flexibly across multiple countries;
- HV/Grid Engineering guidelines, checklists and templates;
- Establishing QA/QC systems and processes, ensuring project designs are in line with company standards, codes and best engineering practices and subject to appropriate review/approval processes;
- Managing lessons learned and feeding them back into technical specifications and processes;
- Managing HV/Grid Engineering Digital library;
- Investigation of HV industry trends, identifying potential products and techniques that Statkraft can benefit from;
- Management of the global technical specifications of High Voltage electrical components/systems for international framework agreements and purchase orders, assisting in adapting the technical specifications for specific countries, and following the procurement process;
- Leading the in-house HV/Grid Expert Group Forum;
- Managing Statkraft representation in relevant industry standards forums eg) IEC;
- Organizing training associated with Grid Engineering QA/QC systems and processes;
- Software management e.g Digsilent;
- Project Investment Milestone Quality and Risk Reviews and Approvals;
- Ad-hoc strategic support to projects and regional HV teams with technical analyses during design, construction and operational stages in order to identify any non-conformities and to propose suitable for project design and/or technical problem issues. Approves and supervises any necessary tests related to electrical equipment where appropriate;
- Interaction with system operators, grid operators, HV contractors, and all relevant stakeholders where required;
- Large, international M&A Due Diligence;
- Support to new business areas eg) Hydrogen, with grid engineer staff support and quality control;
- Support and representation on relevant internal strategy projects;
- Proposal, management and support for relevant R&D funded initiatives;
- Ensuring all Health & Safety requirements are taken in account when preparing designs to significantly reduce the risks to safety and health during the construction stage and during subsequent use and maintenance of the HV system;
- Ensuring “Safety in design” method is consistently applied during development and execution phases;
- Contribution to company targets and any specific targets agreed;
- Support to Management team in HV/Grid Infrastructure cost estimation and evaluation globally;
- Optimization of the HV/Grid interconnection system in order to reduce system CAPEX and OPEX.
- Masters or bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering
- Proven experience in planning, engineering design, procurement, construction and commissioning of utility scale power plants, HV substations and HV lines and cables, over 132KV
- In depth knowledge of multiple, national grid codes and system operator requirements for grid connections.
- Competent user of relevant engineering design tools such as PLS-CADD, AUTOCAD, CYMCAP, DIGSILENT, ETAP and AMTECH.
- Experienced in establishing and implementing technical quality assurance systems and processes
- Fluent in English. Other languages will be an advantage.
- Effective team management and leadership
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Effective communicator
- Ability to empathise with and negotiate differing points of view across departments, countries and cultures
- Strong analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to travel internationally