Cloud Engineer or SRE for DFDS
Do you want to play a key role in establishing a Cloud Factory organization, and become part of an accelerating cloud journey from DFDS’ HQ in Copenhagen?
The 155-year-old startup is now settling in the cloud, and we need your help. DFDS is heavily accelerating its cloud journey for the existing IT infrastructure and application landscape. To achieve this, they are building a ‘Cloud Factory’ organization to lay down infrastructure, build a self-service portal, and a containerization team to migrate existing applications.
DFDS is on the hunt for cloud-savvy people in general, but especially people with SRE and/or Cloud engineering experience and skills. But equally important, we are looking for people with a transformative mindset that wants to drive change in an organization that is willing but still a big enterprise. We are therefore also ready to hire for mindset and train the rest and establish a growth path.
You will become part of the Cloud team nick-named the ‘Cloud Factory’, which is a joint effort between Architecture and Support & Operations. As you join you can be part of defining the setup, working methodologies, and prioritization of tasks and projects. But overall, there is three groupings in the team:
- Supporting and developing the Cloud infrastructure, typically SRE-like competencies.
- Building the developer-oriented cloud platform as a product to reduce cognitive load, typically Cloud engineering-like competencies.
- The ‘container factory’ containerizes existing applications together with the build teams, typically a mix of SRE and engineering skills.
None of this, however, is set in stone and this is a unique opportunity to be part of a strategically critical lift in Cloud capabilities within DFDS. Things are moving fast, and they need infrastructure resources to move even faster - you can help define how to do that and take our software delivery capabilities to the next level.
As a member of the ‘Cloud Factory’, you will spearhead the adoption of cloud in DFDS by building and defining the Cloud infrastructure, empowering developers to consume Cloud resources easily and safely driving the containerization of the total application landscape. It is a huge but highly rewarding challenge of strategic importance for DFDS.
Depending on your skill set and interests your task will include:
- Develop code in e.g. Python, and Golang
- Write infrastructure using Terraform and/or Crossplane
- Use and build out continuous integration and deployment
- Engage, coordinate, and collaborate on activities within and across agile teams
Solid development and cloud experience
We expect you to have solid development and cloud experience. Knowledge and practical experience with all the following technologies and architectures is not a requirement but a nice to have - we do however expect that you have experience with at least some of them:
- AWS or Google Cloud Platform experience
- Domain Driven Design fundamentals
- Tech-wise, we use Docker, containers, and Kubernetes. Relational databases. Structured logging, REST APIs, and Kafka heavily
- Infrastructure as code (e.g., Terraform or Crossplane)
- React. We are not heavy on frontend development but there is some.
As this is a role in team driving transformation in a big enterprise you need to have the drive and tenacity to see that through and understand that change is hard.
We need the team to have an entrepreneurial spirit but also accept the more mundane work of scaling solutions beyond quick MVPs to support the whole enterprise. We are Settlers in the Cloud.
If you find the job exciting and you fulfill the expectations, please submit your CV and application in English. We will evaluate applications on an ongoing basis. All applications will be treated confidentially.
We are looking forward to hearing from you