Backend Development Chapter Lead (Team lead)
Right now, we are looking for our next great Backend Development Chapter Lead to make a difference for the developers in DFDS.
“Chapter Lead?” you might think? We have recently reorganized our Technology and Innovation Division in DFDS and introduced a new way of working – Tribes – a structure defined by a common mission and purpose.
In every tribe, there are three key leadership roles, one of them being the Chapter Lead. Is this you? Read on!
What it is like to be Chapter Lead in DFDS?
You will be part of the Technology & Innovation Division and be a Chapter Lead (line manager) for 6-8 of our skilled Backend developers.
As a Chapter Lead, your main task is to ensure capability building, line management and vision setting within your area.
This also means that you are a specialist and passionate about Backend yourself.
Your time will be spent on three core areas:
- You will develop the backend craft in close cooperation with our other Backend Chapter Leads
- You will line manage a small group of backend developers within your craft., e.g. leading, recruiting, developing, and evaluating people
- You will be a Backend developer in your own agile team
To be more precise on what you can expect as our new Chapter Lead, it will be your responsibility to:
- Collaborate to ensure consistency in ways of working and standards within the professional domain across our tribes
- Provide sparring on best practices and new ways of working
- Develop people within their area to become the best possible professionals
- Ensure rewarding career and training/skill development
- Inspire and create excitement around the future of the craft
- Line manages a small group of backend developers within your craft
- Design code in C#/.Net Core which is highly available using cloud-first
- Use microservice architecture which leverages reusable components
- Maintain and develop our existing applications
- Utilize understanding of continuous integration and deployment
- Support high code quality and automatization
To get a better feeling of how it is to be working as a Chapter Lead and Backend developer in DFDS, here is what one of our Chapter Leads and backend developers says
“As a Chapter Lead, I am a “playing coach” as we call it. I work both with the teams to develop value for our customers and I am a driver for the Scrum Master Chapter where we develop our craftsmanship together. If I should describe the culture in Technology & Innovation in three words it would be: Ambitious, open-minded, and fun. People are great and we really got something going on!”
– Lisbeth, Scrum Master Chapter Lead
“When I started in DFDS I had limited experience with microservices and cloud technologies, but the culture within DFDS highly promotes continuous learning and knowledge sharing, so it did not take long for me to gain these new skills which I would not be without. What I enjoy most about working at DFDS are the autonomous teams where an agile and fail fast mindset contributes to building awesome and modern solutions which brings value.”
- Nadia, Backend Developer, DFDS
We are agile... Are you?
The agile principles are very defining for our culture and way of working, and you need to either have experience with agile or desire to follow the agile principles and Scrum/Kanban method.
Let us turn the focus to you
To be considered for the position, we expect that you have In-depth knowledge within Backend development.
It is definitely an advantage if you have solid experience developing applications using C# and .NET.
Knowledge and practical experience with all the following technologies is an advantage, but not a requirement:
- .NET or .NET CORE
- AWS, Azure DevOps and Git
- Microservices, DDD and Event Driven Architecture
- REST API’s
- Relational and Non-relational databases such as Microsoft SQL or DynamoDB
Since line management is an integrale part in the job we imagine that you have experience with people management. It can also be the case that you have experience with informal leadership, and you now want to take it to the next step.
As Backend Chapter Lead your inter-personal skills and your ability to collaborate and communicate has a crucial impact on your success.
You are a charismatic person with great coaching skills, and you can develop your team to become even better professionals.
About DFDS and Technology & Innovation
As a key part of our strategy, DFDS’ Technology & Innovation teams are instrumental in providing efficient ferry and road transport services in Europe. DFDS employs 11,000 people ashore and at sea throughout Europe and the Mediterranean region, including 375 highly dedicated Technology & Innovation experts.
At DFDS, we believe that digital technologies are key driving factors in changing the ways businesses work. Hence, technology is strategically important in the continued journey and success for DFDS.
Are we a match? Apply now!
If you want to look back on your career and know you were a vital part of building a great company, this role is for you.
Submit your CV in English as soon as possible as we are going through the applications on an ongoing basis.
You are also welcome to add any Stack Overflow, GitHub link or similar. Motivation leter is not needed but feel free to write a few words on your motivation for the position.
If you are left with any questions to the position, please send a mail to Stefan Strandbygaard, Competence Lead, at email@example.com.